Anxiety Disorder Treatment in NYC
Mental Health Professionals in Long Island, Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, the Bronx, and New Jersey
It is normal at times to feel anxious or worried. Sometimes these feelings can even interfere with daily activities or make it difficult to carry out a normal routine. You may even avoid places or situations to prevent these feelings from occurring.
The good news is that there are effective treatments today to help manage symptoms and improve the quality of life for those suffering from anxiety disorders.
What Are the Symptoms of Anxiety?
Symptoms of anxiety may start during childhood or the teen years and continue into adulthood.
Emotional symptoms may include:
- Feelings of apprehension or dread
- Feeling tense or jumpy
- Restlessness or irritability
- Anticipating the worst
- Being watchful for signs of danger
Physical symptoms may include:
- Pounding or racing heart and shortness of breath
- Tremors and twitches
- Fatigue and insomnia
- Upset stomach, frequent urination, or diarrhea
Types of Anxiety Disorders
There are several different types of anxiety disorders. These include:
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD)-exaggerated worry about everyday life
- Social anxiety disorder-intense fear about social interaction
- Phobias-places, events, or objects create powerful reactions of strong, irrational fear
- Agoraphobia-a type of anxiety disorder in which you fear and avoid places or situations that might cause you to panic and make you feel trapped, helpless, or embarrassed
- Selective mutism– a severe anxiety disorder where a person is unable to speak in certain social situations, such as with classmates at school or to relatives they do not see very often
- Separation anxiety disorder– fear of being separated from a particular person, persons, or even a pet
- Substance/medication-induced anxiety disorder, involving intoxication or withdrawal or medication treatment
Anxiety disorders are the most common form of emotional disorder and can affect anyone at any age
What is the Treatment for Anxiety Disorders?
Psychotherapy, or talk therapy, is a popular treatment method used by many mental health care providers.
This therapeutic method can be implemented across a variety of mental illnesses, and its ultimate goal is to bring about improvements in your health. You can learn tools to use and strategies to cope with anxiety when it occurs.
Medication is also available as a treatment option for anxiety and usually involves antidepressants and sedatives. These medications help to balance brain and body chemistry, prevent anxiety episodes, and curb the severity of symptoms. Talk to your doctor to see if medication is the best route for your anxiety.
When should I see Comprehensive Counseling for an Anxiety Disorder?
If your anxiety is interfering with your family, work, or everyday life, you should seek professional help.
Talking to a medical professional can help if your fear or worry is unmanageable or you feel like it is getting out of control. Your worries may not go away on their own, and they may get worse over time if you don’t seek help. Six months is a good measure to see if things are improving or getting worse.
If you have suicidal thoughts or behaviors, seek emergency treatment immediately.
See a provider if your anxiety has an adverse effect on your life or your relationships. It’s easier to treat if you get help early. The ultimate goal is to bring about improvements in your everyday life.
Schedule an Appointment for Anxiety Disorder Treatment at Comprehensive Counseling in NYC
Is Anxiety Disrupting Your Quality of Life? If you’re struggling with anxiety in the NYC area, contact Comprehensive Counseling today to schedule a TeleMental Health appointment or visit our office. Call to speak with an affiliated provider or schedule online.